23 February, 2013

Well that sucks

So, here I sit, one month after I was supposed to have my ketamine therapy and I am still waiting to hear from the VA as to whether or not they will be sending to a clinic that specializes in CRPS/ketamine therapy. I spoke to my pain clinic doc yesterday and found out that she wants to reconsider the spinal cord stimulator. She said that she spoke to another anesthesiologist that said it could be used for my foot, just have to implant it at a lower point in the spine. I had my heart set on a non-invasive procedure that had a good chance at giving me some pain relief, now, if the VA doesn't approve the consult to send me to an outside facility to get the ketamine Tx, I might be left with that as a last resort. I'm not saying that I think the ketamine is the absolute answer or that the SCS is not going to work, I just keep getting set for one thing and feel like I'm told that they were just kidding, they were never going to perform that procedure. I finally got my appointment scheduled to see the pain clinic doc outside the VA, hopefully they have either a miracle cure or simply agree with the VA doc that the special K Tx is the way to go.
I have been missing more work recently, averaging about once a week, I know I have the FMLA to cover me, I just wonder how long I can keep this up before I have to cut down to part-time. The crappiest part is that I'm starting to get to the point that my leave that I had saved up for the treatment is in jeopardy of being used to cover my call-ins, leaving me short if I do get to go to Tampa or whatever facility the VA decides to send me. Rach, my wife, has been pushing for the ketamine tx, based off of the research she has found, I have seen good results with HBOT and some others, but not is the same numbers as Ketamine. At this point, I don't care what the treatment is called, just getting me back to walking without a cane would make me happy. I started PT again last week with a person that has received CRPS specific training. When asked what some of my goals were, I swung for the fence and said that I want to ride my bike again, maybe play basketball with my kids. Her reply was, "How about we start with less time using the cane?" That really hit me, I guess I have forgotten how long it can take to rehab your muscles, not to mention retaining my brain, so I guess less time on the cane is my goal, from there we will work on the next attainable goal.
At the beginning of the month, Rach got a new car, which we traded my car for and I took her VW. I have to say that it was a good switch for me, the dead pedal is just about perfect for me to place my foot while driving, didn't have one in the Focus. Depending on how bad the day was at work, I can usually get home without hating life too much. My one stipulation for giving up the Focus was that she had to have a new stereo installed that had the features of Ford's Sync. Since she isn't an electronics nut, she let me pick it out and I managed to find one that was reasonably priced (never underestimate Amazon) and works great. I don't think she realized how much of a good trade it was for me without the stereo, but I wasn't going to say anything until that thing was in.  Since I can't drive a manual anymore, it's nice to have the VW Tiptronic available to somewhat satisfy the need to row the gears, I will admit though, not having that 3rd pedal, I'll often forget that I need to shift if I have been cruising at interstate speeds for a while, that engine gets a little loud if you rev it fairly high.
My boss thought it would be a good idea for me to file EEO papers to avoid any issues if she were to leave or someone new gets appointed over her. Of course, this brought some hostility from an elder that I work with because they were forced to give up their room at the front of the clinic, it was only required for 2 days of the week, the days they originally said they would not be in their room, but there was a huge tantrum and they are now complaining daily about having to be in the back hall every day. So I ask this, Have any of you ever wanted to take someone and yell right into their face that you would gladly give up any accommodations you have been given to be able to function as they do? I know that it would do no good with this hunchback dinosaur, but after her attempt to throw me under the bus recently at a meeting, I just about let my tongue slip and let her know exactly what I thought of her. It is true, no matter how hard you try, you can't get away from stupid. This is where I'll stop before I start to get even more negative.

Have a great weekend, and in the words of Yogurt, "Let The Schwartz Be With You!!!"



No comments:

Post a Comment